By SO Police Dept.
HOW TO APPLY
The South Orange Police Department has renewed hiring police officers and is accepting applications at their headquarters. If you would like to apply, please respond to South Orange Police Headquarters located at 201 South Orange Avenue South Orange, New Jersey with a printed cover letter and updated resume and speak to a Detective and/or the Tour Commander to pick up an application.
- Must be a resident of the State of New Jersey during the term of appointment;
- Must be at least 18 years of age and no more than 65 years of age;
- Must be able read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently and have a high school diploma or its equivalent;
- Must be sound in body and of good health and be able to perform the physical functions of the duties assigned;
- Must be of good moral character and shall not have been convicted of any crime or offense involving moral turpitude;
- Must possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license
- Must possess NJ Police Training Commission Certification
- Never have been a member of any party or group or organization advocating the overthrow of the government of the United States, or any sate thereof.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include but is not limited to the following:
- Protect life, private and public property
- Prepare and present detailed written reports and cases for prosecutions and/or investigations of criminal, civil, and traffic offenses.
- Communicate effectively with the public, other agencies, in court and other formal settings
- Ability and willingness to work a variety of shifts of up to twelve hours duration or longer, including nights, weekends, and legal holidays.
- Read and comprehend legal and non-legal documents, including the preparation and processing of such documents as citations, affidavits and warrants.
- Have a prerequisite level of computer knowledge and familiarity in order to perform computer inquiries and type reports on computer system.
- Ability and willingness to lead others in solving community problems, facilitating discussion, and negotiating solutions.
- Endure verbal and mental abuse when confronted with hostile views and opinions of suspects and others encountered in an antagonistic environment.
- Stop traffic violators and take appropriate action, identify suspicious individuals and investigate their activities.
- Be able to safely operate a motor vehicle often under adverse conditions.
- Apprehend violators or offenders of the law, sometimes involving substantial elements of personal danger. In instances where lawful arrests are resisted, the officer must be prepared and able at times, through high levels of physical exertion, to protect citizens, themselves, fellow officers, and overcome the resistance
The SOPD welcomes all qualified applicants and encourages those who are interested to find out more information at the SOPD headquarters, 201 South Orange Avenue South Orange, New Jersey.